The following is intended as a source for individuals seeking to host an event in the City of Middletown or seeking to sell items at an event. If you have any additional questions upon reviewing this guide, please do not hesitate to contact the Mayor’s Office at 860-638-4801.
Any person desiring to peddle or vend from place to place in the city must make an application for a license with the Middletown Police Department (PD). Please see the list of requirements for an application, the associated fees, and background checks in Ordinance § 218-4, § 218-5, and § 218-8. Exemptions are listed in § 218-3. Exempt entities or persons, however, may be required to comply with a background check or hire such private duty support as the PD deems necessary to maintain public safety, health, and wellness during sales activities.
Special Event Licensing
A special event license may be issued to the organizer of any event that has two or more vendors associated with it. Special events may include, but are not limited to parades, sidewalk sales, fundraising events, fairs, and other events open to the public in which merchandise may be sold or bartered. A special event may be held on private property, so long as it has an impact on the public, and it may be open to the public or require a ticket.
Applications for special events licenses must be made to the Chief of Police along with a $100 fee and must follow the licensing procedure in Ordinance § 218-4.
- Applicants and all vendors, including employees may be subject to a background check as set forth in § 218-8. Under the special event license, any employees, agents, and vendors need not obtain a separate license.
- The PD reserves the right to require such private duty police support as the PD deems necessary to maintain public safety, health, and wellness during any special event.
Individuals interested in hosting an event must do the following:
Contact the Risk Management Office, 860-638-4825 to ensure the event has appropriate insurance coverage, as required by Ordinance § 218-7.
- Contact the Fire Marshall’s Office at 860-638-3211.
- Contact the Health Department to get an application, a minimum of 30 days prior to the event, at 860-638-4960.
- Individuals interested in renting a Middletown Park or Open Space must contact the Parks Division of Public Works at 860-638-4520.