Drainage & Runoff


If the violation is on private property the following procedure is followed:

  • A site visit by the Wetlands Officer to assess the situation.
  • If a wetland violation exists an informal letter is sent to the owner with recommendations on how to remedy the situation. The owner is given enough time to resolve the concern.
  • A formal cease and desist is sent by certified mail if the problem is still not addressed.
  • If the violation continues, and no remedy is agreed upon, then the owner will be sent a letter from the City Attorney initiating legal action.

If the violation is on city or state property the following procedure is followed:

  • The appropriate city or state department/agency is contacted and informed of the violation.
  • Follow-up with said department/agency as to action.


Public Act 85-388, the Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Act, holds liable all developers for the prevention and correction of soil erosion and sedimentation which is caused, directly or indirectly, as a result of their activities.

The Act states that all developers of land shall:

  • Properly provide for soil erosion and sediment control, and
  • Provide a Soil erosion and sediment control plan for any development when the disturbed area is more than one half acre.

Section 10.9 of the Zoning Code clearly discusses the plan requirements in the City of Middletown.

Wetlands Coordination

The State Statues require that: "If a site plan application involves an activity regulated pursuant to Section 22a-36 to 22a-45, inclusive, the applicant shall submit an application for a permit to the agency responsible for administration of the inland wetlands regulations not later than the day such application is filed with the zoning commission." Therefore, if there are any wetlands on the site, prior to submitting to the Planning and Zoning Department, you should take the application to the Wetlands Administrator and have it reviewed to determine if a wetlands permit or review is required. If one is required, you must delay submission to the Planning and Zoning Department until you submit the wetlands application.

Zoning Violation Form

To report any Zoning Violation in the City of Middletown, call 860-638-4840 or fill out our online form.