Sewage is backing up in my house, what do I do?

There are two types of sewage backup:

  1. An internal plumbing blockage or problem which only backs up when using internal plumbing fixtures. If this occurs please contact a plumber. 
  2. A sewage backup from the City sanitary sewer collection system. If this occurs contact the Sewer Department during normal business hours at 860-638-3500. After hours contact the Central Dispatch by calling 860-346-8621, they will contact the Sewer Department's on-call personnel.

If you are unsure, please call us.

Show All Answers

1. Is my water safe to drink?
2. How often do I get billed for Water and Sewer?
3. When do I need to pay my Water and Sewer bill?
4. Why is my water usage or bill unusually high?
5. What do I do if the tap water looks discolored or tastes unusual?
6. Sewage is backing up in my house, what do I do?
7. Where does the water I drink come from?
8. What is fee to connect to the Sanitary Sewer System?
9. What is the fee to connect to the Public Water System?