Water & Sewer
Annual Water Main Flushing Program to Begin May 10th
The City of Middletown Water Department will commence the State mandated annual water main flushing program beginning the week of May 10, 2021. Flushing will occur during the hours of 8 AM to 3 PM. Please note that the duration of the flushing program is impacted by weather conditions and is anticipated to last 10 to 12 weeks.
It’s a Toilet, Not a Trash Can
There has been a significant increase in the use of disinfecting wipes to clean homes and work spaces in an effort to stay healthy. Please remember that wipes can NOT be flushed down the toilet, even if they are labeled as "disposable" or "flushable".
Unlike toilet paper, which breaks down quickly in water, personal, baby and cleaning/disinfecting wipes remain intact and tangle into massive clogs that jam pumps and block pipes. See the recent EPA News Release on this issue.
Here’s a list of a few other items that should NEVER be flushed down your toilet:
- Cloth rags or towels
- Baby wipes, Toilet wipes, Disinfecting wipes, or cloth wipes of any kind
- Paper Towels
- Paper (other than toilet paper/tissue)
- Medications (Prescription, or over-the-counter)
- Feminine hygiene products of any kind
- Beauty products, Q-Tips, dental floss
- Plastics of any kind
- "Disposable" contact lenses
- Grease of any kind – especially cooking grease
- Garden supplies (such as pesticides, fertilizers)
- Paint, varnish, paint remover
- Motor oil, gasoline, or any explosive material
Your help can reduce blockages in pipes which can lead to sewer backups in the environment, the streets or even your home!