Water & Sewer Permits

Permits by Appointment Only

Water and Sewer permits are issued at our office Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.  An appointment for a permit can be scheduled by calling the Water and Sewer Department at 860-638-3516.  Prior to scheduling an appointment to obtain a permit, please submit the following information:

  • A copy of the current P-1 or P-7 plumber’s license. 
  • A copy of the plumber’s driver’s license.*
  • The address where the work is to be performed and the name of the owner.  
  • The type of work to be performed (Water service repair or connection, Sewer lateral repair or connection, etc.)

*A signed letter granting permission to sign the permit is required if the license holder is not signing.  A copy of the designated signer’s drivers’ license is required.  

All information should be submitted via email to Daniel.Pitsurenko@middletownct.gov prior to the scheduled permit appointment. 

The charge for Water and Sewer repairs is $100 which is payable via check made out to City of Middletown Water & Sewer Department.  If a new water or sewer connection is required all connection charges must be paid prior to pulling the permit.  Please contact the Water & Sewer Department at 860-638-3516 to determine the connection charge. 

You can download a copy of this permit check list:  Permit Checklist (PDF)

Irrigation Meters and Permits

The Middletown Water Department now allows the use of a second water meter for irrigation purposes.  This meter will not be charged a sewer fee which will reduce the cost of watering your lawn and garden.  The homeowner is responsible for hiring a plumber to install the necessary piping for the new meter and ensure that the irrigation plumbing is completely separate from the rest of the house piping.  The homeowner must fill out and sign the Secondary Meter for Irrigation Permit Application and pay the $325 permit fee.  Some important facts about an irrigation meter:

  • A backflow preventer must be installed after the meter to protect the water quality of our system.
  • The backflow preventer must be inspected annually and a report submitted to this Department.
  • You will receive two (2) separate water bills; one for your house and one for the irrigation meter.
  • Irrigation meters are not seasonal and will remain in service year round.
  • You will be subject to minimum billing requirements even in the winter months.

It is estimated that you need to irrigate more than 8,000 square feet of lawn in order to realize a savings.  The permit application and other documents are available on this page or you can call our office at 860-638-3500 for more information.